The ancient civil parish of Shalfleet (one of the Island “long parishes”) extends from Elm Lane in the east to Bouldnor in the west, the north and south boundary points are the Solent shore and Shalcombe Down.
Within the parish boundaries are the villages of Shalfleet, Wellow, Ningwood, Newbridge, Bouldnor, Hampstead, and Cranmore , the various interconnecting roads and byways also support a sporadic rural residential settlement.
There is a post office/ general store and one part time sub post office within the parish, a CE Primary School, two public houses and one farm shop/delicatessen
The electoral register for 2005 recorded 1383 voters residing within the parish. Agriculture and tourism are the predominant industries within parish and Shalfleet Quay provides an important marine leisure facility with its boatyard and adjacent moorings.
The Parish Council owns and manages two childrens playgrounds situated at Newbridge and Bouldnor as well as a waste recycling reception facility at Ningwood. There are four community venues, Shalfleet Village Hall, Wellow Literary Institute, Shalfleet CE Primary School and Newbridge Social Club.